Monday, September 20, 2010

Health is a Choice

Been thinking a lot about health lately...

Basically I am unfit, unhealthy and out of shape. I accept that. I look in the mirror and think this is not the guy I want to be. I want to be strong. I want to be fit. I want to be healthy. And I want to look it, not for vanity's sake but to know I am doing the right things to be healthy and fit. I bought a new scale the other day and stood on it. I was 104.6kg. That is a lot. Too much in fact! I started to eat better and excercise more and last night I weighed 101.7kg. Thats almost 3kg in three weeks. Not bad. My resting heart rate is around 70 and my waist line is about 41". This is not the guy I want to be. But its MY CHOICE really. Your health, your fitness, your energy levels are your choice, every single step of the way.

I have made a decision to get healthy! No more fast food, no more french fries, no more fried chicken, no more soft drinks, much less beer (have to have some), no more unhealthy snacking during the day (the afternoon Kit Kat or the morning muffin are gone). More fruit, more non-fatty, high-protein meat (e.g. fish), more fruit and vegetables, smaller portions and a commitment to researching healthier diets online (although I think a lot of it is common sense). And oh yes, lots of water. My goal is 2.0l a day. That's a lot, but I like it. The other decision, excercise more. Right now doing P90X, every day for 15 days (yes I have just started but will make sure I finish). You see these are my choices. I chose to eat unhealthy, I chose to lounge around the house and watch TV, I chose not to excercise. I made many bad choices with regards to my health. Its time to change. Only I can make that choice for myself. Nobody else can.

How about you? Are you making the right choices for your life. Are you choosing to live healthy or unhealthy? Are you still eating those cheesy pizzas and drink lots of coke (even diet coke or coke zero), still chugging away those milkshakes and munching fries. Trust me, being healthy, fit and at the right weight empowers you to do so much more in life. You have more energy, you feel great, you can do more with your life, especially outdoor activities like hiking and cycling, you will improve the things you like to do like swimming and walking etc. So what do you say. Do you want to be unhealthy, risk heart disease, risk obesity related illnesses, risk diabetes? Say no, choose life. Its your choice, only you can make it.

Hope you have a great life, a healthy life, a long life, a life fille with wonder and joy.
PKS

No comments:

Post a Comment